Thursday 27 March 2014

Learning to Hunt

As I've learnt, life in a wormhole is all about the hunt. You can hunt for PvP, PvE, a route to market - one way or another you've just get out there and poke around! 

It was exactly this that Kupena (my CEO) and I did the first night after moving in to the C4.  I was just testing out and learning about 'siggy', and chains in general when I noticed a miasmos on D-scan in a C3 a few jumps down the chain. I let Kupena know via teamspeak and he jumped down with his scout whilst I ran back to our PoS to jump into my brand new, never before flown in anger, cloaky Proteus.  

The 'cloakeus', a ship that has pounced on me in the past and that I have ALWAYS wanted to own.

About one jump away from our PoS Kupena announced that he had a retriever on scan, and was pinpointing it using D-Scan.  My heart raced as I thought that the corp, and I may get our first kill so I upped my click rate in a hope that would move me through space faster... After making it back Kupena updated me with news of a Tempest in system which had since vanished off of D-Scan. In better news, the retriever was still there - he either had  no idea we were in his home, about to pounce - or he knew exactly what we were up to and was laying a trap... The game was on.

Kupena had been busy watching the retriever chewing on ore, creating a safe warp-in bookmark for me. I entered warp towards the spot, and as the belt and retriever filled my screen and overview I got excited and nervous. I started to approach my prey, and as soon as I was in scram ranged dropped my cloak and targeted.  My heart raced as my blasters went to work, always thinking about what had happened to that tempest, was this a trap?  It's all about the unknown!  After 20 seconds or so the retriever went pop, and the pod just managed to escape my grasp. I re-cloaked and warped off to a safe, my hands shaking after our first successful hunt.



Now I need to get into range of something that can shoot back!  

6 comments:

  1. Nice. Would you be willing to share your fit on your Cloaky Scan Proteus? I'm always curious how people fit their boats.
    Mine is:
    [Proteus, Scan Proteus]

    Dark Blood Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane
    Damage Control II
    Dark Blood Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane
    Federation Navy Magnetic Field Stabilizer
    Federation Navy Magnetic Field Stabilizer
    1600mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I

    Shadow Serpentis Warp Scrambler
    Federation Navy Stasis Webifier
    Federation Navy 10MN Microwarpdrive

    Heavy Neutron Blaster II
    Sisters Expanded Probe Launcher
    Heavy Neutron Blaster II
    'Smokescreen' Covert Ops Cloaking Device II
    Heavy Neutron Blaster II
    Heavy Neutron Blaster II

    Medium Targeting Systems Stabilizer I
    Medium Hybrid Burst Aerator II
    Medium Targeting Systems Stabilizer I

    Proteus Engineering - Augmented Capacitor Reservoir
    Proteus Offensive - Covert Reconfiguration
    Proteus Electronics - Emergent Locus Analyzer
    Proteus Defensive - Augmented Plating
    Proteus Propulsion - Interdiction Nullifier


    Hobgoblin II x5
    Warrior II x5
    Hornet EC-300 x5
    Acolyte II x5

    Also for your viewing pleasure from a long time ago now
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB2oQ7TsqwU

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bayne, I am a total novice at fittings - and constantly playing with them. This fit doesn't include a probe, but I carry a mobile fitting unit and probe launcher:

    [Proteus, PvP Proteus]
    Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
    Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
    Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
    Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
    Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
    1600mm Reinforced Steel Plates II
    800mm Reinforced Steel Plates II

    Experimental 10MN Microwarpdrive I
    Warp Scrambler II
    Stasis Webifier I

    Heavy Neutron Blaster II, Void M
    Heavy Neutron Blaster II, Void M
    Heavy Neutron Blaster II, Void M
    Heavy Neutron Blaster II, Void M
    Heavy Neutron Blaster II, Void M
    Covert Ops Cloaking Device II

    Medium Ancillary Current Router I
    Medium Trimark Armor Pump I
    Medium Trimark Armor Pump I

    Proteus Defensive - Augmented Plating
    Proteus Electronics - Dissolution Sequencer
    Proteus Engineering - Power Core Multiplier
    Proteus Offensive - Covert Reconfiguration
    Proteus Propulsion - Wake Limiter

    I'm still working on a few skills, and will have to look at how to integrate drones. Thanks for sharing your fit I'll slap it into EFT and see what I can do with it!

    The video is fantastic - sneaking up on people is a good rush!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also - my lack of shiny modules is a direct reflection on the state of my wallet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol yah the bling on that has been building over a few years. You'll want to swap in the meta 4 scram/web. The meta 4 web has longer range and i think %age stronger. The meta 4 scram is same stats but lower fitting, which may help you if cpu is short. I tend to keep a t2 medium warp bubble in my hold, if you can fit even a small bubble in it is often worth it for catching people transiting through a wh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh also I'd check to see if a dcu2 gives more ehp than that 800 plate. If it does/ worth swapping anyway you might be able to drop the acr rig for something else

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers for the input Bane, I have trained up for a tech II web now! I checked out the dcu2 in eft but it does not give as much EHP apparantly, I'm going to play around with a fit to try and introduce drones as well.

    ReplyDelete